Sunday, January 27, 2008

2008 USFS Championships - Senior Men

What an amazing finish to the senior men's event! I mean, c'mon, with the "precision" offered by COP, how likely is it that the top two would end up with the exact same total score? Personally, I thought Johnny Weir skated a stronger, more secure program in the free skate (his flow and edge quality were wonderful), but Evan Lysacek did have visibly more complex spins and transitions, so I can see how Evan's program could have scored higher, thus giving him the overall win.

Similarly, I preferred the free skate of 4th place Jeremy Abbott over that of bronze medalist Stephen Carriere. Both programs were well-constructed (though very different stylistically). I felt that Jeremy had better flow and power over the ice, but Stephen had very secure jumps and again, more complexity throughout the program. Ryan Bradley as always skated a fun, engaging program. It's too bad he couldn't hit his most difficult jump elements.

Overall, I think NBC did a decent job covering the championships, but as ever, there was too much time devoted to fluff pieces and segments on "the rivalry" (ooo) which could have been better used showing another program or two in each discipline. Commentary-wise, I enjoy Scott Hamilton's enthusiasm, but I think casual viewers would learn almost nothing from his and Sandra Bezic's play-by-play. I felt Tracy Wilson did a better job of explaining what the judges are looking for during the ice dance coverage.

Watching this weekend's broadcasts makes me want to see another competitive skating event in person. Maybe Skate America in the fall... :)

No comments: